Owning A Park Home

Below is a comprehensive list of links and fact sheets to help guide you through the process of buying, selling and living in a Park Home. 

So if you are thinking of owning a Park Home or have bought a Park Home already, then check out our below links. If you can’t find what you are looking for then feel free to contact us through our "online chat", call us on 01772 633399 or email us on info@tempoparkhomes.co.uk

Park Homes Know your Rights

Qualifying residents associations

Gas Safety in Park Homes

Calor Gas Safety

Jargon Buster

Selling or gifting a park home

Buying a park home

Mobile Homes Act 2013

Written Statement

Click here for PDF Version

Park homes: know your rights - June 2013

The Mobile Homes Act 2013

This new law gives more rights to people who live in their own home on a protected site. The most important changes make it easier for you to sell your home on the open market, without interference from the owner of the park where you live.

The changes came into effect on 26 May 2013.
This leaflet summarises the main ones.

If you have questions, or want more information, you can call the Leasehold Advisory Service – LEASE. They provide free and unbiased advice. 020 7383 9800

LEASE also have information on their website: www.lease-advice.org

Please remember that LEASE can only give you initial advice. They cannot act as your representative or deal with your paperwork. If you want to sell or gift your home, we strongly recommend that you get help from an independent professional adviser, such as a solicitor. You can ask for help from LEASE or go to www.lawsociety.org.uk/findasolicitor

How the law has changed

Pitch fees
There are new rules about how site owners review pitch fees and what can be included in the review. Site owners will have to use a special form to tell you about this. Before they can raise pitch fees, they have to get your agreement or go to a tribunal.

Selling or gifting your home
In the past, site owners have had a say in who you can sell or give your home to, and some have made it difficult for residents to sell their home for its real value. The new law means you do not need to seek the site owner’s approval of the buyer – but if you bought or were gifted your home before 26 May 2013, you will need to tell them who your buyer is.

The rules for your site
From 26 May 2013, any site rules that interfere with the sale or gift of a home are banned. Other changes about site rules will be announced later in the year.

Local authority licensing

From 1 April 2014, local authorities will be better able to make sure that site owners are complying with the terms of their site licence (which must be displayed by the site owner). Local authorities will be able to charge for licensing, require site owners to carry out necessary works and prosecute those who fail to comply. The courts will be able to impose unlimited fines on those found guilty of non-compliance.

Pitch fees

You have to pay a pitch fee to the site owner to rent the land your park home sits on.

The site owner can propose changing the pitch fee once a year. They must give you 28 days’ notice in writing, and use a standard form called the Pitch Fee Review Form. This form explains the process and your rights.

If you and the site owner can’t agree on a new fee, the site owner can apply to a tribunal. Until the tribunal reaches a decision, you should continue to pay your current fee.

Selling or gifting your home

As a park home owner, you have a right in law to sell your home on the open market. You can also give it (gift it) to a member of your family.

The site owner does not have the right to approve the buyer or family member, but the buyer or family member will have to meet any site rules if they want to live on the park.

Your rights improved on 26 May 2013

It was already illegal for site owners to:
• evict you without a court order
•  harass you into giving up your home
•  prevent you from exercising your rights – for example, your right to sell your home.

Now it is also illegal for the site owner to:
• give false or misleading information that would interfere with your sale.

As well as this, site owners cannot now impose rules that:
• make you tell them that you want to sell your home or insist that they have to agree to the sale
•  interfere with your right to sell
• insist on approving your buyer. You do not have to give contact details or references, and your buyer does not need to have any contact or an interview with the site owner
•  stop you from using a solicitor or estate agent to sell your home
• make you or your buyer carry out a survey.

If you believe that an illegal activity has taken place, contact your local council. It can prosecute people for offences under the Caravan Sites Act 1968, which may result in large fines or even prison.

Selling or gifting your home

This is the process if you owned your home before 26 May 2013 and now want to sell or gift it on.

1. Find a buyer
Once you have found a buyer, you should fill in the Buyer’s Information Form. This gives the buyer important information about the site, its rules and your agreement with the site owner. We recommend that you speak to a professional adviser, such as a solicitor.

People who did not own their home before 26 May 2013 will have a simpler process People who bought or were gifted their home after 26 May 2013 will not have to tell the site owner until they have completed the sale. They can go from Step 1 straight to filling in the Assignment Form at Step 3.

2. Tell the site owner
You and the buyer fill in the Notice of Proposed Sale Form and give it to the site owner. On the form, your buyer needs to confirm that they comply with the site rules, and in particular any rules about pets, parking and the age of residents.

If the site owner objects
If the site owner has evidence that the buyer does not meet the site rules, they can apply to a tribunal for a refusal order. The site owner has 21 days to apply and tell you they have done so. If they don’t, you can go ahead with the sale. If there is a tribunal, it may ask for more information from you and the buyer. If the tribunal grants the refusal order, your sale cannot go ahead to this buyer, and you must start again. If the tribunal decides in your favour, you can go ahead with the sale.

3. Complete the sale and move out
You can complete the sale if:
• the site owner does not tell you that they object within 21 days or
• if a tribunal decides in your favour.
Fill in the Assignment Form, which transfers the pitch agreement to your buyer.
The buyer pays you 90% of the sale price.
That’s it – don’t forget to give them a forwarding address.

4. The buyer takes over your agreement
The buyer now owns your home.
They have 7 days to tell the site owner, using the Notice of Assignment Form, and showing evidence of payment.
The site owner gives their bank details to the buyer, who has 7 days to pay 10% of the sale price as commission.

Gifting your home to a relative
The process is similar, except:
• you have to provide your relative with all the financial information and rules about the site at Step 1. You do not need to fill in the Buyer’s Information Form
• you use the Notice of Proposed Gift Form at Step 2
• no payments are made at Steps 3 and 4.

Further Information

Fact sheets
This leaflet is just a summary of the new rules about how your site is managed, and the process for selling or gifting your home.
There is more information in these fact sheets:
Park homes: residents’ rights and responsibilities
Selling a park home
Pitch fees and other payments to site owners
Qualifying residents’ associations
Going to a tribunal

You will need the following forms if you want to sell or gift your home. They make sure that you and your buyer have all the information and documents you need. If you do not use them, you may be breaking the law.
Buyer’s Information Form
Notice of Proposed Sale Form
Assignment Form
Notice of Assignment Form
Notice of Proposed Gift Form

We strongly recommend that you get help from an independent professional adviser, such as a solicitor. They should be independent of the site owner. You can ask for help from LEASE or go to www.lawsociety.org.uk/findasolicitor

These fact sheets and forms are available at: www.gov.uk/park-mobile-homes

Click here for PDF Version

Department for Communities and Local Government - Fact sheet

Understanding the Mobile Homes Act 1983 - Qualifying Residents’ Associations

This fact sheet gives some basic guidance about qualifying residents’ associations under the Mobile Homes Act 1983. It applies to you if you live in a mobile home as your permanent home on a park home site, local-authority traveller site or on a private traveller site, where pitches are rented. The fact sheet applies to sites in England.

When we refer to a home in this fact sheet, we mean a mobile home (including a park home) or caravan.

This fact sheet is not a full statement of the law and does not cover all cases. Only tribunals or the courts can give an interpretation of the law that applies. If you need more advice or information about your legal rights or responsibilities, you should contact a citizens advice bureau or a solicitor.


Since 2006, the law on mobile homes has included a specific role for qualifying residents’ associations on sites. An association that meets relevant conditions will be a ‘qualifying residents’ association’ and must be recognised by the site owner. The owner must consult the association on proposed changes to operating and managing the site and improvements to it that they plan to make.

The site owner must also consult individual residents about improvements to the site and especially about any spending on improvements that the site owner wants to take into account at the next pitch review.

Forming a qualifying residents’ association

What conditions does the association need to meet to become a qualifying residents’ association?

1.1 The conditions for becoming a qualifying residents’ association are laid down in law and are as follows.
• The association must represent the owners of the homes on the particular site.
• At least 50% of the people living in the homes on the site must be members of the association. In working out the percentage of residents, each home is considered as having one person living there. If there is more than one person living in the home, the person whose name appears first on the written agreement is the one who would count in working out the 50%.
• The association must have no links to the site owner and they, or any of their agents or employees, cannot be members.
• Membership must be open to all residents who live in homes on the site, for example both a husband or wife or two partners can be members of the association as long as both jointly own and live in the home.
• The association must keep an up-to-date list of members which is open for the public to inspect, together with the rules and constitution of the association.
• The association must have a chair, secretary and treasurer who are elected by and from among the members.
• Apart from administrative decisions taken by the chair, secretary and treasurer, decisions are taken by voting. In any ballot, only one vote can be allowed for each home. (So, if there are two or more members living in the same home, they must decide between themselves how to use that vote.)
• The site owner must acknowledge, in writing, to the secretary that the association is a qualifying residents’ association.
• If the association has not been recognised by the site owner, a residential property tribunal may make an order that the association is a qualifying residents’ association.

1.2 A suitable template for a constitution has been drawn up jointly by the Independent Park Home Advisory Service, the National Association of Park Home Residents, the British Holiday & Home Parks Association, and the National Park Homes Council. Please contact them for a copy of the template; for contact details please see below. By using this template the site owner is less likely to object.

Independent Park Home Advisory Service
Tel: 0800 612 8938
E mail: info@iphas.co.uk
Website: www.iphas.co.uk

National Association of Park Home Residents
Tel: 01492 535677
Email: jim@naphr.org
Website: www.naphr.org

National Park Homes Council
Tel: 01252 336092
Email: info@nationalcaravan.co.uk
Website: www.nationalcaravan.co.uk

British Holiday & Home Parks Association
Tel: 01452 526911
E-mail: enquiries@bhhpa.org.uk
Website: www.bhhpa.org.uk

What if I have several mobile homes on a pitch?

1.3 Under section 1(1)(b) of the Mobile Homes Act 1983 a person may only live in one home at a time (as their only or main home). If you have two homes on the pitch, then for the purpose of working out the 50% qualifying condition, only one home would count. You (together with any person who jointly owns the home) would also be entitled to be a member of the qualifying residents’ association for that one home. In other words, only one home can be counted for meeting the qualifying association test and being a member of the association.

1.4 However, if there are two or more homes on a pitch and each home is owned by different people, only the first-named person on the agreement (if there are two or more owners who live there) for each home should be counted when working out the 50% qualifying condition. However, each of the owners who live there can be members of the qualifying residents’ association.

How does the qualifying residents’ association get the site owner’s acknowledgment?

1.5 The association should write to the site owner setting out how they meet the above conditions and ask the owner to write to the secretary of the association to acknowledge that it is a qualifying residents’ association.

What happens if the site owner does not respond to or fails to acknowledge the association?

1.6 The association may apply to a residential property tribunal for an order to say that it is a qualifying residents’ association. The association should be prepared to provide enough evidence to show that it meets the necessary conditions.

1.7 You can find more details on the residential property tribunal in our fact sheet Mobile Homes 1983 - disputes and proceedings.

1.8 You can get application forms and other information on the residential property tribunal from the website www.justice.gov.uk.

What happens if a qualifying residents’ association that the site owner has acknowledged no longer meets the conditions to qualify?

1.9 If an association no longer meets the conditions listed above, it cannot be considered to qualify. As such, the consultation rights set out below will not apply. A site owner may, if they want, discuss operating and managing the site with the association, but does not have to by law.

What happens if the owner of the site changes?

1.10 If the owner of a site changes, the qualifying residents’ association does not need to ask the new owner for acknowledgement as there is no change in its status.

What happens if a site owner demands minutes of meetings, a photocopy of the membership list and so on?

1.11 The site owner may reasonably ask to see the constitution and the association’s rules and the membership list so they can check that the association meets the conditions for qualifying. However, they are not entitled, for example, to minutes of meetings or to interfere in any way with how the association is run.

Rights of the qualifying residents’ association

What rights does a qualifying residents’ association have?

2.1 A site owner must consult the association about all matters which relate to operating or managing the site or about improvements to it if it affects the occupiers either directly or indirectly.

2.2 The rules say that the site owner must:
• give the association at least 28 days’ notice in writing of the matters they need to consult about;
• describe the proposed changes and how they may affect occupiers, either directly or indirectly, in the long and short term;
• explain when and where the association can make comments and
• take into account any comments made by the association before going ahead with the proposed changes.

Residents’ associations that do not qualify

Are residents’ associations that do not meet the conditions for a qualifying residents’ association allowed to continue or to be set up?

3.1 Yes, an existing residents’ association can continue or a new one can be set up even if you do not meet the conditions above. Residents’ associations on sites are frequently informal and many fulfil a number of roles - for example, they act as a social club.

3.2 However, the consultation rights set out above will not apply. Although a site owner can, if they want, discuss operating and managing the site with any residents’ association, they do not have to by law. The site owner must also consult residents about improvements which may result in a change to the pitch fee.

Click here for PDF Version

Stay Safe Gas in caravan holiday homes and residential park homes

What is Carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide is poisonous and results from the incomplete combustion of gas and fuels.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning happens when you breathe Carbon Monoxide, even at very low levels. The symptoms are like having flu, but can lead to death. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. The young and the old are at particular risk.

You will not know if you are being exposed to Carbon Monoxide as it is colourless, odourless and tasteless.

The symptoms are often overlooked and the only sure means of diagnosis is a blood test.

Staying safe

If your caravan holiday home or park home displays the National Caravan Council badge of approval (see below), you have the reassurance that it has been designed with safety in mind.

However, it is essential that you take simple steps to ensure both your own and others’ safety:
• Get all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
• Don’t block the ventilation.
• Know the danger signs to look out for.
• Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances.
• Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm (EN50291).

Get your gas appliances checked annually

All gas appliances should be serviced annually to keep them working safely and efficiently. This will reduce the chance of exposure to Carbon Monoxide and also reduce running costs.

The law requires an annual check to be done if you let out accommodation; for example, if holidaymakers stay in your caravan holiday home.

Never Do-It-Yourself with gas

Do not let unqualified people work on gas appliances; always use a Gas Safe registered engineer, qualified either in natural gas and/or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

• Check the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing - you can find this information on the back of their ID card.
•  Make sure that they have the appropriate registration for the gas used in your appliances.
•  Ask for the gas safety record for the work carried out

Your park manager may be able to recommend a suitable Gas Safe registered engineer. Alternatively to find a Gas Safe registered engineer visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.

Don’t block the ventilation

Gas-burning appliances need a constant supply of air in order for complete combustion to occur and to keep you safe.

Suitable ventilation is designed into caravan holiday homes and park homes to ensure your safety. If you block that ventilation, it could lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Stay safe: never block the ventilation!

Know what to look out for

You cannot see, taste or smell Carbon Monoxide, but you can look out for signs.

Your gas appliance should burn with a crisp blue flame. If it burns with lazy yellow or orange flames, or you notice sooting or staining, you could be at risk.

If you spot the danger signs, get it checked out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm

Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms will provide a further safeguard.

There should be two: one in the living area and one in the master bedroom.

Test them at least once a month and never remove the batteries.

If not already fitted, buy alarms that comply with BS EN 50291:2001 and follow the fitting instructions carefully.

Check and follow the maintenance requirements; Carbon Monoxide alarms usually need replacing about every five years.

There is no substitute for properly functioning, audible alarms. Do not be tempted to fit the cheaper ‘black spot’ detectors as they won’t sound an alarm and alert you to potential danger.

If the alarm goes off

• Make sure everyone leaves the home.
• Turn off the gas at the meter or cylinder valve.
• Get medical attention for anyone feeling unwell.
• Immediately call the gas emergency number for your area.
• Tell the park manager.
• Get the gas appliances checked.
• Do not re-enter until you have been told it is safe to do so.

Click here for PDF Version

Using Calor Gas Safely In Your Caravan Tourer, Caravan Holiday Home or Park Home.

Using Cylinders

What Happens Inside the Cylinder

Calor gas cylinders are specifically manufactured to store Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG for short) in its liquid state. The liquid turns to gas very easily and the gas fills the space above the liquid. As gas is drawn off in use, more liquid turns to gas to replace it. An external regulator connected to the supply line between the cylinder and appliance keeps the pressure of the gas constant to the appliance as the cylinder empties until there is no liquid left to turn to gas.

The Regulator

A suitably rated regulator must be included in the connection between the cylinder and the appliance.The regulator is precisely set to control the pressure of the supply and Must Not Be Adjusted. Replace any regulator, which is not working properly, or after 10 years’ of life. Regulators must be marked BS3016 or BSEN12864

For Caravan Holiday Homes and Residential Park Homes the regulator must have an outlet pressure of 28 mbar for Butane and 37 mbar for Propane and be marked BS3016 or BS EN 12864 (for cylinder use) or BS EN 13785 when connected to a piped supply. Where an Automatic Change Over Device or Regulator is fitted to multiple Propane cylinder installations, this must have an outlet pressure of 37 mbar and be marked BS EN 13786.

For Touring Caravans and Motor Homes, in 2003 BS EN 1949 was introduced which requires the appliances be supplied at 30 mbar for either Butane or Propane. This regulator must be marked BS12864 Annex D. Where an Automatic Change Over Device or Regulator is fitted to this must be marked BS EN 13786 Annex D.

Touring Caravans and Motor Homes, produced before 2003 require an outlet pressure of 28 mbar for Butane and 37 mbar for Propane and must be marked BS3016 or BS EN 12864.

Guidance will be given in the manual for your caravan and a label attached to the gas inlet in the gas locker.

Flexible Hoses

Use only marked and certified hoses BS3212 or BSEN1763 and which bear the year and name of the manufacturer and clips as LPG attacks and erodes natural rubber. Keep hose lengths as short as possible and less than 2 meters in length. All flexible hoses must be secured with proper hose clips. Make sure that the hoses are kept clear of ‘hot spots’ and inspect them from time to time. Replace any hose that shows signs of wear or damage.

For Touring Caravans and Motor Homes, in 2003 BS EN 1949 was introduced which requires the hose between the cylinder and regulator to be no longer than 450mm

Do’s and Don’ts
Do treat a cylinder with care to ensure that the valve is not damaged. A damaged valve could result in a leak.
Do use a cylinder upright. Horizontally, liquid gas could get into the supply pipes with serious results.
Don’t attempt to disconnect a regulator from a switch-on valve (15kg and 7kg cylinders) if the flame does not go out when the regulator switch is turned off. Leave the appliance alight and call your Gas Supplier or Park Manager.
Don’t subject a cylinder to heat, because the pressure inside the cylinder could build up to a point beyond the designed safety limit.
Don’t store or use cylinders below ground level, because LPG is heavier than air. If there is a leak, the gas will collect at low level and become dangerous in the presence of flame or a spark.
Don’t store or use propane cylinders (red) indoors, because propane is contained under higher pressure and should only be kept outdoors.

Gas Appliances

There are many central heating boilers, water heaters, fires and cookers as well as leisure appliances that can be used with your Calor gas supply. Many look just like those for use with natural gas. They operate just as efficiently, give the same superb performance, but care must be taken when buying and using them.

When buying a gas appliance it is important to ensure it is suitable for use with Calor propane and/or butane. You should purchase appliances that bear the CE mark and have been designed for use in caravans.

Many accidents caused by faulty gas appliances involve those, which may have been purchased second-hand. Special care is needed if you buy a second-hand gas appliance. Have it checked by a competent installer for safety. If you have any doubts don’t buy.

Installation of Appliances

It is required by law to use installers which display the Gas Safe symbol and are registered to undertake to work to the highest standards of safety. Amateurs and DIY ‘experts’ can put you and your family at risk and face prosecution. Don’t take that risk, use the professionals.

A list of recommended installers who can install LPG appliances can be obtained from Gas Safe 0800 405 5500.

There is a saying ‘If all else fails, read the instructions’. For your own health and safety you must read the instructions and labels first, and then keep them handy for reference. If there is anything you’re not certain about concerning your installation please contact your installer. For advice about any other LPG appliance, please contact your Calor Dealer or appliance manufacturer.

Servicing Appliances

Gas appliances should be serviced regularly to keep them in a safe and efficient condition. Properly maintained appliances are safe in use and are no cause for concern.

Central Heating Boilers/Hot Water Circulators: Boilers and water heaters should be serviced at least once a year. Your CORGI registered Central Heating Installer will normally undertake this work. Alternatively, contact CORGI, for details of CORGI registered installers in your area.

Other Appliances: Cookers and fires etc. should be serviced at least once a year.


Never improvise with gas equipment, if you want your installation changed or extended in any way, please contact your Installer.

Do not let unqualified people tamper with your appliances or installation. Appliances for use with Calor propane are designed and built to very high standards – any adjustments or modifications could impair their safety and nullify manufacturers’ guarantees.

Ventilation and Flues

Occasionally chimneys or flues can become fully or partially blocked due to broken bricks, birds’ nests or soot. This will cause the products of combustion to spill into the room polluting the air with toxic fumes. It is important that chimneys and flues are checked regularly and that they are NEVER BLOCKED.

Like you appliances need air or rather the oxygen in the air. There must be adequate supply of fresh air for appliances to work properly, and the products of combustion must be removed.

There are three types of appliances for use in caravans: those with a room sealed flue, such as some kinds of fires and central heating boilers; those that need an ordinary flue, such as boilers, water heaters and some types of radiant fires; and those that do not have a flue, such as a cooker or hotplates or refrigerators.

With room sealed flue system, air for combustion and the products of combustion are kept sealed from the room atmosphere. By law, room sealed flued appliances should be used in bathrooms, shower room. It is also advisable to use this type of appliance in bedrooms.

Never use an open flued water heater installed in the bathroom while in the bath. Always turn off the heater before getting into the bath and ensure there is good ventilation at all times while the heater is in use.

When using flued and flueless appliances, it is essential to ensure that ventilation is adequate.

If the room has ventilators or grilles, make sure they are NEVER BLOCKED. Most rooms have fresh air entering around doors and windows – but if a room becomes stuffy, open a door or a window immediately.


• Flues and heat exchangers are not blocked.
• Air inlets are clear.
• The gas consumption is correct.
• Safety devices are working correctly.
• The appliance is safe for further use.

Carbon Monoxide – The Facts

• When gas does not burn properly, poisonous carbon monoxide fumes may be produced.
• You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide fumes. They are invisible, odourless, colourless and tasteless.
• Fumes from partially burnt gas kill more people than fires and explosions from unburnt gas.
• Faulty gas appliances, poor ventilation and incorrect flues may produce carbon monoxide.
• The danger signs on gas appliances are stains, deposits of soot and excessively yellow or orange flames.
• Carbon monoxide can cause drowsiness, dizziness, headaches, watering eyes, chest pains or palpitations, sickness, stomach pains or diarrhoea. Unfortunately, these are vague symptoms produced by many other causes such as influenza and food poisoning.
• You should seek medical advice if you persistently suffer from any of the symptoms listed above after being in a room where any gas burning appliance is in use, and of course have your gas installation checked by a competent installer.
• Remember, gas appliances which are designed, installed and used correctly, regularly serviced, and properly ventilated and flued are completely safe.
• Consider the installation of a suitably certified carbon monoxide detector.

Please Remember
• Never block ventilators
• Always check regularly that flues are clear
• Always read the installation and operating instructions for your appliances carefully.
• Always use a Gas Safe registered installer to install or service your gas appliances.
• Never use a cooker as a means of heating. Always ensure there is adequate ventilation while cooking.
• If you think your gas appliance is not working properly do not use it. Contact a Gas Safe registered installer for professional advice.
• Ring the Calor Gas Emergency Service number 08457 444 999 if an emergency occurs

Click here for PDF Version

Jargon Buster

Agreement – licence to park a mobile home on a site setting out the fees and other terms of the licence.
Assignment – the act of transferring property or some right (such as a contract) to another.
Beneficiary – a person or institution who receives a legacy under a will, trust or intestacy.
Buyers Information Form – a mandatory form completed by a seller.
Chattels – personal belongings such as items of furniture, art, antiques, jewellery and watches. A park home is a chattel.
Commission – a sum generally payable to the site owner on the sale of a park home
County court – the forum to decide civil matters; for park home matters it can deal with applications to terminate an agreement.
Existing agreements – an agreement acquired before 26 May 2013.
Express terms – specifically mentioned and agreed by both parties at the time the contract/agreement is made.
First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) – the forum to decide most mobile/park home disputes including disputed utility charges, enforcement of site rules, pitch fee reviews and administration charges.
Harassment – an act or words amounting to persecution causing alarm and distress. Under the Mobile Homes Act a single act of harassment by a site owner or agent is a criminal offence.
Implied terms – terms which by law are included in contracts/agreements regardless of whether they are specifically mentioned.
Intestacy – the estate of a person who dies without having made a legally valid will.
Lifetime gifts – that is gifts made by a living individual.
Local authority – including district and borough councils.
Mobile home – caravan designed or adapted for living and capable of being moved. Please see park home definition below.
Park home – the commonly used term for a mobile home (caravan) on a protected site (definition below) within the meaning of the Mobile Homes Act 1983 (as amended).
Pitch fee – the amount of money that an occupier is required to pay under their agreement to station a mobile home on a pitch and to use the communal areas. It may be paid monthly, yearly or quarterly.
Pitch fee review form – the document which must be used by the site owner if the pitch fee is to be reviewed.
Protected site – a site that must be licensed by the local authority. The licence must not have any restrictions on the times of year when the site can be occupied or be for holiday use only.
Relevant protected site – a site which will be subject to the new licensing regime. These sites include local authority sites which are excluded from the licensing regime.
Recoverable costs – the costs that may be recoverable through the pitch fee review. Can include the cost of improvements which have been carried out to the site and were the subject of a consultation process.
Relevant deductions – amounts that may be deducted from the pitch fee. They may reflect deterioration in the condition of the site or a reduction in services.
Review date – the annual date on which the site owner can review the pitch fee.
Retail Price Index – the measure of inflation published monthly by the Office of National Statistics. The figure is used to calculate the increase or decrease of the pitch fee every year.
Retail Price Index adjustment – the percentage increase/decrease that is applied when reviewing a pitch fee review.
Sale blocking – a criminal offence of intentionally or recklessly making a statement to prevent an occupier from selling a park home.
Site rule – rules applying to the site and incorporated into the Agreement.

quote bubble
If you need any help or would like to enquire about additional services or fee options, fill in the contact form below.
quote bubble
Contact Us
2 + 14 =